Recipe; Gluten Free Taco Meat Seasoning
Prep Time; 3 minutes
Cook Time; 10 minutes
Ready In; 13 minutes
This recipe is; Casein Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, GAPS Safe, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Nut Free, Paleo, SCD Safe, Seasonal - Summer, Soy Free, Sugar Free, Vinegar Free, WAPF Safe.
- Frying Pan
- Stirring Spoon
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Bowl
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 3 tbsp beef stock
- 1 lb minced beef
- Stir all the spices together in a small bowl.
- Crumble the meat into the saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the beef stock and stir to break up the meat into a small texture. Add the spices and cook until well browned but not dry.
- Try making a big batch of this seasoning ahead of time and mixing it right into a suitable storage container like an old jam jar.
- If you can tolerate corn, try adding 1 1/2 tbsp corn flour to the spice mix for a more authentic flavor. If you can't tolerate corn but you can tolerate other grains, try arrowroot starch/flour in place of the corn flour.
- The more liquid you add to the pan, the finer the texture of your meat. Try adding less for bigger chunks, and more for a very fine texture, but be careful - small variations make a big difference!
- Make sure to read the ingredients on your onion powder and garlic powder carefully - these often contain gluten or other unsavories in the form of anti-caking ingredients.
Even if you are not gluten free, this recipe can save you a lot of money over buying take out Mexican food or those expensive taco seasoning packets in the store that are mostly just corn starch!
Served with re-fried beans, pico de gallo, guacamole and corn chips for my husband.